Reading


I was telling Mel that I just ordered 5 books from Amazon yesterday. I've been reading a lot since I came back to Switzerland. Mostly I read mysteries, thrillers and sometimes i put in also a theory book (the last is "The Wal-Mart Effect").
I am totally in love with authors from Scandinavia. Years ago, after going to Sweden for a conference I've realized how much I like that country! As I said, I love reading books from authors of whatever country I visit. I totally adore Henning Mankell, Björn Larsson ("Celtic Ring" is one of the best book ever written), love Jo Nesbo with his Harry Hole detective, Arnaldur Indridason from Iceland, Anne Holt and so on.
Right now though I am in a pause...no scandinavian author for couple of weeks (hopefully amazon will deliver my books sooner). I just discovered this french author named Muriel Barbery. Mel you will like her books (maybe you've read them already). Right now I am reading "Une gourmandise" which is really sweet. Everything happens in a bourgeois building on the left bank of Paris. A culinary critic is dying and...I am not sure what's happening, but up til now I love it!
I've already bought her 2nd book which is called "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" and I am dying to start reading it!
Alerady the back summ is quite intriguing:
"Renée is the concierge of a grand Parisian apartment building on the Left Bank. To the residents she is honest, reliable and uncultivated an ideal concierge. But Renée has a secret. Beneath this conventional façade she is passionate about culture and the arts, and more knowledgeable in many ways than her employers with their outwardly successful but emotionally void lives..."

1 comments:

September 24, 2008 at 10:11 AM ML said...

wow! wow! wow! I am so getting on amazon for this book list!

thank you!

I love how you wrote about them too!